Before IPL 2021 was suspended in early May 2021 by the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India), the league was halfway, with most teams having played at least seven matches. Delhi Capitals was at the helm with twelve points, followed by Chennai Super Kings with 10. Bringing up the rear was Sunrisers Hyderabad with a paltry two points.
In this first phase of the IPL, several players put up outstanding performances worthy of getting into the top players’ list of IPL 2021. The all-rounders who had a magnificent run in the first phase of IPL 2021 include
- Ravindra Jadeja. He has shown his multifaceted talents during this season at the Chennai Super Kings. He has excelled in all three departments, be it beautiful catches, lethal batting, or taking vital wickets in the middle-overs. The highlight of his season was his standout performance against Royal Challengers Bangalore, where he hit a 28 ball 62* including 37 runs in the final over against Harshal Patel. He also claimed the wickets of Sundar Washington, Maxwell Glenn, and AB de Villiers.
- Kieron Pollard. The Trinidadian cricketer, who has stamped his authority in the IPL with phenomenal and sustained performances, was behind Mumbai Indians’ triumph over Sunrisers Hyderabad, garnering 35 runs off 22 balls. Mumbai Indians won by 13 runs.
- Moeen Ali. The English superstar has delivered pure gold for the MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings (CSK), where he has shone at his designated No.3 spot with skillful strokeplay. He has hit 206 runs in six outings at an average of 34.33 and an astounding strike rate of 157.25.
- Andre Russell. The 33-year-old Jamaican cricketer who plies his trade at Kolkata Knight Riders has shaken off the poor form that hounded him last season. He amassed 163 runs in 7 outings at a strike rate of 155.23 besides claiming seven wickets at an average of 16.28.
The top-rated batsmen in IPL 14 first phase
- Shikar Dhawan. The 35-year-old batsman who plays for Delhi Capitals has been instrumental in Delhi Capital’s path to the top. He has struck 380 runs this season.
- K L Rahul. The 29-year old Punjab Kings wicketkeeper-batsman who doubles up as captain has had a solid season. He has hit 331 runs after seven matches.
- Faf Du Pleiss. The 37-year old South African batsman’s performance for CSK has been sterling this season. He has struck 320 runs in seven matches.
The top-rated bowlers in IPL 2021
- Harshal Patel. The right-handed bowler has claimed 17 wickets at an economy of 9.17 for Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- Avesh Khan. The Delhi Capitals’ bowler took 14 wickets at an economy of 7.70
- Chris Morris. The 34-year-old Rajasthan Royals’ all-rounder also took 14 wickets at an economy of 8.61
Stay tuned for the latest from your favorite teams and players.