IPL 2021 has been a strange event after it was postponed midway due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Later, the BCCI rescheduled the remaining matches to be played in September in the UAE. Certain players were expected to perform and make their presence felt but turned out to be big-time flops. Here is a list of 5 players in the IPL 2021 who have looked out of sorts till now.
5 Flop Players of IPL 2021
- Eoin Morgan: The World Cup 2019 winning captain is having a dismal IPL 2021 as a batsman. Although KKR is still in the race for the playoffs, Morgan has hit rock bottom as a batsman. In 12 matches, Morgan has scored only 109 runs at an average of 10.90, and a low strike rate of 100.92. The highest score for Morgan is 47*. But in the last 5 matches, the scores have been 2,0,8,7, and 0 suggesting a flop season in batting.
- Nicholas Pooran: The power hitter from the WI is having his worst IPL season so far. In 11 matches, he has scored only 82 runs at an average of 8.20 and a strike rate of 118.84. The scores in 11 matches are 0, 0, 9, 0, 19, 0, 32, 8, 2, and 12 clearly showing complete failure. In comparison, Pooran had a great IPL 2020 where he scored 353 runs. But his form in 2021 has been abysmal.
- Hardik Pandya: Hardik Pandya’s form has been pretty ordinary by his standards in IPL 2021. He has not bowled a single over this season and has scored only 122 runs in 10 matches. The injuries have also played their part for this maverick player. His lack of performance has directly affected MI’s progress to the playoffs, which looks unlikely this season. The player who was touted to be India’s best fast-bowling all-rounder is slowly losing his touch and needs to make a strong comeback in IPL 2022.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar: An international bowler with an excellent reputation, Bhuvneshwar Kumar has had a difficult IPL 2021. In 9 matches, he has taken only five wickets at an average of 58 and has an economy on the higher side of 8.52. His form has been a great concern for both SRH and the upcoming T20 WC. He has not been in a good rhythm this season and is also hampered by the lack of good fast bowlers for support at the other end. Hopefully, in the next season, he will regain his form and help SRH make it to the playoffs. Sadly, they are bottom of the table currently.
- Ishan Kishan: This pocket rocket from MI was sensational in the IPL 2020 scoring runs at will. He had amassed 516 runs in 14 games at an average of 57. But, IPL 2021 has been a complete role reversal, with Kishan scoring just 107 runs in 8 games. His highest score is 28. Ishan Kishan has been dropped from the last few matches to accommodate a bowler. He has talent, but in the IPL, he has to be at his best to cope with the high-class teams that will utilize any weakness in his technique to their advantage.
IPL is rated as the best T20 league globally, and the stakes are set very high here. Only the strong will survive. The IPL platform has brought many players to the limelight and given them international careers. IPL 2021 was going well, but Covid-19 spoiled the fun. In the second leg, all 8 teams are toiling hard to make it to the playoffs. This season, like every season, had ups and downs. Some players have disappointed the fans, and their performance reflects their team’s standing on the points table. Hopefully, next season, these 5 players will bounce back and make their fans happy again. Till then, it’s game on!